Thursday, January 28, 2010

Haiti Report #1

January 20, 2010
Report #1

Greetings from the Fort Wayne airport!

I will do all that I can to keep people informed about the progress of our visit to the Dominican Republic into Haiti. I believe that communication will be possible while in the Dominican Republic, but once in Haiti, we will probably not have access to anything other than a satellite cell phone that some in our party may have with them.

It looks like everything is a go for a smooth flight from Fort Wayne to Chicago and then from Chicago to Miami. I will spend the night in Miami, and then depart for the Dominican Republic around noon tomorrow. In Miami I will meet with the other members of our party.

From there we will get to Santo Domingo, and then by land to the border with Haiti. I understand that along the border the LCMS missionaries have two teams that are working there. One team is a medical team, and the other is there for logistics and spiritual care. Thousands and thousands of Haitians are streaming across the border from Haiti into the Dominican Republic for food, water and medical care, thereby straining very much the Dominican resources also.

It's about time to board the plane here in Ft. Wayne so I'll sign off for now but will try to get something more back to you later on in the day.

Please keep our trip in your prayers.

In Christ,
Doug

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment